After upgrading to Veeam 9.5 we had a customer needing to seed new backups to our cloud repository. We created a new backup copy job and backed up to a temporary seed repository pointing to an external drive. Once the backup completed the drive was shipped back to us and we imported the data to our cloud repository and re-scanned it on the customer side.
After mapping the job to the imported data we ran the job. At this point it should have continued from the already backed up data and started an incremental backup. However, it was doing a full backup. It was creating duplicate entries for the VMs in the backup data.
Veeam 9.5 update 1 was released 1 week prior to this incident and our policy is to wait at least 30 days before applying new releases. After reading through the fixes that this update would apply we were unable to verify that it would resolve our errors, however Veeam lists this update as non-breaking and after some confirmations with Veeam support we applied the update. We then started the process of re-importing the data.
Instead of removing all of the data and then re-importing it from the seed drive we were able to re-import just the seeded .vbm file and leave the already imported .vbk file then re-scan from the customer side. Veeam showed 1 backup as ‘updated’ during the re-scan.
Once the update was applied and the backup was re-imported, the backup continued incremental backup from the seed data as expected.